It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Batch Rendering Question
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm 

I'm not sure if there's a way to handle this through animation, another process, or if it's simply not possible.

I'm looking for a way to set up a queue of saved files (000.chaos, 001.chaos, 002.chaos, etc.) to pick up, render to the set stopping SL, save out the file with the .chaos file name, and move on to the next.

I've seen mention that it will 'render everything in the world browser', but the world browser seems to be completely static. Clicking on parts of it do nothing, trying to drag and drop files onto it does nothing, etc. There does not seem to be any means of adding anything to it, removing anything from it, or even renaming the single world on it in some way.

I'm using the full version, and on an iMac Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6). Specs are otherwise, uh, embarrassingly ridiculous really, but it's more than able to handle itself.

Being able to set up a batch this way to render over night, while out on errands, etc. would be incredibly helpful. (I'm a newbie to actual fractal art, and am using components of images in a variety of colors for other graphics and art stuff. Learning! But this is incredibly useful to me as is now for secondary purposes... which means lots of minor variations to things to generate.)

Presently, it's a lot of babysitting and hurry-up-and-wait. If it's running in the background, I'm fine with it 'overdoing it' on the SL here and there -- not going to argue about render time spent sleeping! ;)

I'm hoping there's a solution to this one, or someone can offer some advice here. Many thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm 

Hi surreality,
This does indeed seems like a bit of an oversight with Chaotica.
I have added a context menu to the world browser so that you can add worlds, rename them, and remove them.

This will be in the next beta build.

I'm not sure if this is quite the right way of going about things - the world browser is not quite a render queue, which is what it sounds like you need. However it can basically act as one. The main issue is if you save the .chaos file you will end up with a .chaos file with all the worlds in it.

Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:34 am 

That actually sounds great. Thanks, Nick!

I don't mind having a few absurdly large text files lurking around if it gets the job done.

Offline Profile