It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:40 pm 

Bought Chaotica Studio 2 days ago and have been trying things out. Unfortunately it is very unstable and crashes frequently, especially when I increase the image dimensions.

This is version 2.2.2 on macOS 12.2.1, running on Macbook Pro 16" (2019). Here are the specs:
8-Core Intel Core i9 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, 4GB VRAM
Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1536MB VRAM

Sometimes I get the error message (see attached):
clEnqueueNDRangeKernel failed:
CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE

Sometimes the application crashes with no error message.

I noticed that crashes are more frequent when using OpenCL.

This is an amazing program but it would be great if you could fix these crashes.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments:
crash.png
crash.png [ 13.95 KiB | Viewed 6140 times ]
Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi, thanks for the kind words! :) That's not really a crash (i.e. when the software abruptly closes), and it's basically saying you don't have enough GPU memory for the resolution and AA level you've selected. GPUs tend to have less memory than CPUs / main memory; for more information on the memory requirements please check the manual, particularly the last section here: https://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual/rendering-faq

If you'd like to render larger images than your GPU can support, you'll have to disable the OpenCL rendering mode.

Hope this helps!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:04 pm 

Thanks for your reply, lyclum.

I have checked the manual regarding memory requirements but the software should not crash (abruptly closes) even when it encounters less memory than needed. Each time it quits, macOS asks if I want to report the crash. I also notice there are quite a lot of crash logs being generated.

Ideally, the application should automatically switch over to CPU rendering when graphic memory is low.

BTW, I ordered a Mac Studio with M1 Max. Does anyone know if Chaotica Studio runs well with the M1 Max?

Cheers,
Dave

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed, the out of memory message could be clearer, and it could then revert to CPU rendering automatically.

I expect the M1 Max should work extremely well with Chaotica, please report back with benchmarks when it arrives! I can suggest some parameters and settings for that, so we can compare against e.g. Radeon GPU and Ryzen CPU.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:02 pm 

lycium wrote:
I expect the M1 Max should work extremely well with Chaotica, please report back with benchmarks when it arrives! I can suggest some parameters and settings for that, so we can compare against e.g. Radeon GPU and Ryzen CPU.

Please do provide those parameters and settings, looking forward to testing it on the M1 Max.

Offline Profile