It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:50 am 

Somehow I managed to break the "update image" (you know, at the bottom, where it shows the load bar and then the blue bar for when the image gets updated). It was working fine, and then I went to go render a larger sized image (my license max is 4.1 megapixels, so the image size was 2023x2023) and I noticed that the auto-update image feature stopped working. In other words, I set the stopping SL to 14, and it told me it would update in about 10 hours.

No big deal, I figured I could just hit f5 whenever I wanted to check the progress, and that worked just fine.

Except when I decreased the image size to play with one of the iterators a bit more, it still wasn't working. So now every time I change anything I have to hit f5 to see the new image, instead of having it show in the window while I'm moving things around.

Did I turn something off somewhere preventing it from auto-updating the image?

Edit: If I uncheck the stopping SL the incremental image updates come back, and my changes also show up when moving things around on the editor without hitting f5. Working as intended?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:18 am 

I know i used to have a similar issue on large renders (when i almost maxed out my RAM - stuff like 17000xwhatever), when the update would start working at all. But it would work when chaotica is restarted, so all i had to do is restart and render again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:51 pm 

I fiddled with it a bit more after I posted this, and found the following (once the updates stop working):
- when stopping SL is checked Chaotica will cease the incremental updates and will only update when the stopping SL is reached, even following iterator or coloring changes
- when stopping SL is unchecked Chaotica will update incrementally like we've been used to, so it's probably best to leave this box unchecked while tweaking until you're ready to render your final image

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a change that was made on purpose, but either way it's not a big deal as long as the incremental updates work one way or another. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 pm 

From your description, it seems to be working normally o.O

Also, why would one tweak stuff with stopping SL on? Its in the middle of a batch render, and as it currently batch renders mostly animations, it would break it, you would have to re-render the previous frames anyways o.O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:13 am 

I dunno- I just have always left stopping SL checked, and either at 12, 14, or 16 depending on the type of fractal I'm working with. I've never done animations- all I know is when it hits the stopping SL the rendering stops, lol. I don't particularly like the idea of leaving my computer rendering after I go to bed unless I know it will eventually stop- I know it probably won't do anything but I've already fried more than one system and I'm trying to go easy on this one. :D

Prior to 1.5.6 I was able to tweak away with Stopping SL checked, so figured I'd mention it in case it was a bug.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

This behaviour is one of the important small things I wanted to change in 1.5.6 - when you have a stopping SL specified, it should *NOT* do any auto-updates before then - because that's when it's done, so why should it waste any more time doing (rather costly) auto image updates?

You can still press F5 / select Render -> Update image from menu at any time you like.

Offline Profile