It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:01 pm 

Hiya! :!:
Just downloaded and installed free version.
Can't get the software to start!
OUCH!!!
Error Message: The procedure entry point GetLargePageMinimum could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

System Specs: Old (-04) but lovely Laptop... P4 3.2Ghz, 2Gb Ram, XP Pro Sp3...
Dying to try out the JWF integration! :worship:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:01 pm 

Are you using win XP?
I recall XP support was dropped a while ago (feel your pain, i got a desktop with XP and render stuff on my poor laptop).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:48 pm 

Yes tatasz I'm still using a perfectly working Windows XP Pro... :D
I have some 350-400 applications running on the machine, so upgrading to anything new, OS wise, would not be a fun task and honestly not worth the hassle and the risk of losing some great software!
But even though MicroSuck decided to dump the support for it last year, they still do regular small updates... There are huge numbers of important corporate users etc. out there that can't upgrade either...

Anyhow, were you saying that Chaotica also dropped support for XP?
It's mentioned as part of the minimum spec. on the website. :cry:

I'm very keen on getting Chaotica going, since I'm the guy that Andreas Maschke decided to build a 32 bit version of the Chaotica bridge plugins in JWildfire for... :coding:
I want to make sure it works for other folks with old machinery that may also want to use Chaotica this way...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:19 pm 

Hmmm maybe its just a bug though =S
you should wait for the devs, still hope hehe =D

would love xp support tbh ;)
and well, a great tool for rendering ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:31 pm 

Yes I'm thinking some kind of bug too...
So I'll wait and see what the devs might find. :?:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Chaotica "lost" Windows XP support in version 1.5, to support this advanced memory stuff. But it was pretty dumb not to just dynamically link it, since there's anyway a fallback option when not running as Administrator (required for the large page allocation to work).

Having 15% faster rendering (due to doing as much less actual work / energy savings) is worth it to me, but the execution could have been better. I should try to fix it in version 1.5.7.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:36 pm 

Thanks lycium! :D
I will eagerly await the next update! :coding:
In the meantime I might create a different user without Admin privilege and try that just for kicks... Since your mentioned fallback might then make things work...

Still Not ideal but other than that, the only thing that may work, is if I could get my hands on your previous version, 1.4.x... ;)

All the best for now...

Btw, there's a lot of Chaotica renders being posted in the JWildfire Open Group these days LOL... JWF v2.5 open Beta seems to work very nicely with Chaotica... For those lucky 64 bit kids he he he... :cry:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

I watch the JW group very closely, and am particularly familiar with your posts since last year...

Running with account other than Admin won't fix the problem, I need to make those advanced memory functions really dynamically linked. I'm not sure if it'll make it into 1.5.7 actually, since it affects only two people right now as far as I know... but thanks for mentioning the minimum requirements, those should be updated.

I'd strongly recommend upgrading to a 64bit OS, for example Windows 7. Besides the performance improvements there are extremely important security benefits to running in 64bit mode.

Offline Profile