It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: User Guide
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 am 

I'm trying out the current free version, and have been searching for some useful user guide/manual type information to no avail. This is a complex program, and I'm feeling pretty much on my own to try to figure it out. Are there user guide resources I'm missing? Thanks for any help.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: User Guide
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:48 am 

The manual is here: https://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual

Is there any area in particular you need more info on? I added a few pages to the manual recently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:09 am 

It would be very helpful to flesh out the quick introduction to creating an animation. It says to create keyframes, but I can't see how. Or how to make a looping anim. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:46 pm 

Agreed, the manual needs a lot of work and the tutorials seems to be outdated vs version 2.0.

It makes things inefficient when instead of creating artwork you spend 90% of the time searching how the app actually works.

still great piece of software, wish I could say the same about the manual and tutorials.

just my 2 cents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:01 pm 

Ditto the above.

I do love the program. It is fortunate that I have had extensive experience with Apophysis in the past, but haven't touched it in a few years. Returning to it, I discovered it lacking and went searching. Found Chaotica, and it does feel familar, however it is severely lacking in basic instructions on how to use it.

The bare bones descriptions that identify most of the features are lacking context, depth, and exhibit somewhat large gaps in explanation.

One example: In Apophysis, one can easily change the background color to allow for what the different flames look like when hue and value are changed on the canvas behind them. I find a "Background Color" feature in Chaotica, but no clear description of how it functions. It certainly doesn't appear to function the same as in Apo., so I'm left wondering how to create a white canvas against which to evaluate my flames, without any help available here or elsewhere. I"m forced to create a transparent PNG, then import it to Photoshop and create a white background layer just to do what should be a simple thing directly in Chaotica.

This is not the only example I can give, but it is one that helps illustrate a significant lapse on the part of the owner(s), especially when one is shelling out $100.00 USD for professional software.

If one is going to charge a significant amount of money to license their software, they should be better at providing instructions about it's use.

It also seems strange that one pays this sum of money and cannot install the software on at least two machines per license. That is pretty standard in the industry.

Thanks for letting me sound off....now back to your regularly scheduled programming.... :-D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:42 pm 

The manual has a lot of good information, but I personally hate the way it's laid out. I wrote tutorials to get new users familiar with it. https://blog.pugnacious.site is the link. I'm constantly working on new tutorials and welcome suggestions or questions so that I can expand on things.

Offline Profile