It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Order of Iterators?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:07 pm 

When creating from a blank world, does the order the iterators are created matter? I'm thinking from a composition standpoint.

For instance, when I used Claire Jones tutorial on Grand Julians, she usually puts a blur down first, then builds on top.

I am having trouble getting my head around what affects what sometimes. I do know about the weights and do tweak those.

When I am composing from blank I do notice one particular iterator has a massive impact on overall composition, while others may have less, but this seems to change somewhat.

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Order of Iterators?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

It doesn't matter, since they are randomly chosen (the weights dictate the [relative] probability).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:19 pm 

It doesnt really matter as lyc said
On the other hand, as you get more practice, you will probably work out an order that works the best for you.

For example in the grand julian, one could first build and then add the blur, or the other way around, or even build in different order.

The effect of an iterator can also depend on the transforms used. For example, in the grand julian, the blur will not really affect the overall structure that much.

As for weight, they basically define how much each iterator affect the others:
- base weight is all other iterators (lower it, and your iterator will affect less your whole fractal)
- weight to other iterators (similar to base weight, but just affect 1 relationship at a time)

2 examples of weights fluxograms made by piethen21:
http://piethein21.deviantart.com/art/xa ... -265095913
http://piethein21.deviantart.com/art/xa ... -281334679

The arrows means the weight is set to 1, and no arrow, 0
So, for example, on the first one, the weights would be (without the base wieght, just the iterator specific ones):
it 1: 1 1 0 0
it 2: 1 1 1 0
it 3: 1 0 0 1
it 4: 1 0 0 1

This is the work for the second one: http://piethein21.deviantart.com/art/th ... -281440625

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

There is an extremely obscure exception to this basic IFS principle in Apophysis, namely that it *always* starts with the first transform (which corresponds to iterator in Chaotica) instead of doing a random selection; flam3 properly (randomly, according to the weights) selects the first transform as far as I know.

Some artists have exploited this to take total control of the IFS process in Apophysis (especially Alexey Ermushev - http://eralex61.deviantart.com/) but in Chaotica this hacky assumption doesn't apply, for mathematical simplicity / consistency reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

tatasz wrote:
fluxogram

I've never heard this beautiful word before!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:26 pm 

Excellent Replies.

Tatasz I actually get what you posted about the fluxogram. (just so you know that bit of binary wasn't wasted :)

Thanks so much.

Offline Profile