It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DPI and Random Worlds
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:19 am 

I'm a beginner and have been using Random Worlds and editing them. They always end up with a 72 DPI file even when I change the width and height in the render settings before rendering and saving the image. Is there a way to turn them into 300 DPI so I can print them for higher resolution?..... Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I hope it's ok if I paste my email reply here:

Image data has no intrinsic physical size, you can print a 10 x 10 pixel at either 1cm x 1cm or 4m x 4m - there is a fixed amount of data in the image, and of course if you stretch it out too much then it will look blurry.

This is where DPI comes in - it's a measure of the physical pixel (or "dots") density, "dots" per inch. 72 dpi is just some old classical default, most good screens these days at least 100 dpi, but that still doesn't matter because we are concerned with the pixel density of the *print*, not the screen. So nevermind doing any kind of conversion from screen DPI, this only degrades the image data; just directly render the image for print use at the correct resolution.

Just take the size of the print you want, let's say 10 inches x 10 inches, and then multiply that with the DPI you want, to get the number of "dots" or pixels in the image - with 300 dpi (some kind of default for decent quality prints) that comes to 3000 x 3000 pixels. So you render in Chaotica at 3000 x 3000 pixels, save that image, and it's ready to be printed at 10 x 10 inches.

Note that larger images for print will of course take longer and use more memory! That's when you really benefit from Chaotica's high performance CPU engine - it's highly optimised (see this page: https://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual ... rt-windows) and can access the large amounts of memory needed for big print images. GPUs often don't have enough memory (and sometimes not enough numerical accuracy) for really high res print rendering.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 pm 

I'm glad that you posted it here... could be useful to others that might have the same question :)

Offline Profile