It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:43 pm 

Hello , I am very new to Chaotica .
I have a folder of 100 small size worlds 1020 by 1020 and now want to batch render all of them to a size of 5000 by 5000 , and also increase the AA to level 3 and also change the render engine to Mitchell N.

I have checked the batch mode and the SL , (currently set at 8)

But I have no idea how to set up the batch rendering process , there is nothing in the menu system to strap the batch rendering.

Please help me resolve this issue.

Kind regards , mehau :-)

BTW what would be an ideal setting in SL for very good quality for good detail

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:15 pm 

This very topic is something I'm planning on doing a full tutorial on in the near future. It's something that most people don't have a lot of information on.

First, you have to understand something. You need to "bake" your render settings into each file. You can open the .chaos files in a text editor and edit the xml directly if you need to. Sometimes that's easier, but it can easily screw your file up if something gets deleted on accident. The point is, you need to open each file, set your render settings and then save the file.

Another thing you'll need to set is the "world name". If you look at the world browser, you can right click on the name and hit rename. This needs to get done and then saved for each file. When you batch render it doesn't pull the name from the file name. It pulls it from the world name. This can cause major problems as the default is "New World" and you don't want every single file to get named the same. It overwrites it over and over again and you end up with the last file rendered. Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm speaking from experience. That one was a real forehead slapper.

Once you have all the files saved with the correct render settings and values (including the stopping SL), you open the first one up in chaotica. Then you need to load all the files into the world browser so you can see a list of all of them. Then click on the top one and check the batch render box and set the output directory. Once you're done, you wait. It will render to the stopping SL and then flip to the next file in the world browser. Once the final one is complete it will just stop.

I've mentioned to Lycium and on the forums more than once that I would love to have a command line version of the batch rendering, as well as the ability to automatically exit the application once it's finished, but...that might take a while or never happen. Let me know if you need more details. I'm trying to find some spare time to do a full tutorial on how it's done along with some example settings that look good.

Offline Profile