It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 am 

Any feedback and bug reports welcome!

Thanks to everyone who has posted feedback from the previous beta versions.

Windows installer:
http://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/ch ... v2.0.8.msi

Windows portable:
http://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/ch ... _v2.0.8.7z

Mac OSX:
http://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/Chaotica_2.0.8.pkg

Linux:
http://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/ch ... 0.8.tar.gz

Changelog:
* Revamped random world generation:
Selecting random transforms from all transforms in the transform library instead of just a few hand-selected ones.
'Transforms' partial-randomisation button now just changes one or a few transforms instead of all of them.
For partial randomisation buttons, leaving first paramset unchanged so that it serves as a reference/easy way to go back.
Setting the world name to a concatenation of the transform names.
Showing world name as a tooltip in param browser window.
* Showing improved error messages for winter build failures, also writing errors to Chaotica appdata dir / winter_build_log.txt.
* Increased number of allowed decimal places in the imaging and background colour controls.
* Fixed tab ordering for AA-level spinbox.
* Made the Window > Reset Layout menu command reset layout of world editor window as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:09 pm 

Hi Nick,

new Transform type and random transformations are very interesting!
Thx.
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 am 

Here's point symmetry, which I've been using a lot lately. It's great on a camera transform, especially blended with other variations, but works well in structures too:

Code:
<transform_def name="point_symmetry">
      <node name="input_params">
         <real name="point_symmetry">1</real>
         <real name="point_symmetry_centre_x">0.25</real>
         <real name="point_symmetry_centre_y">0.5</real>
         <real name="point_symmetry_order">3</real>
         <real name="point_symmetry_colorshift">3</real>
      </node>

<node name="internal_params">
         <real name="weight" />
         <real name="centre_x" />
         <real name="centre_y" />
         <real name="order" />
         <real name="colorshift" />
      </node>

<int name="num_unit_randoms">1</int>

<string name="winter_init_function">
         <![CDATA[
            point_symmetry_init_result(point_symmetry, point_symmetry_centre_x, point_symmetry_centre_y, point_symmetry_order, point_symmetry_colorshift)
         ]]>
      </string>

<string name="winter_eval_function">
         <![CDATA[
            let
               idx = truncateToInt(unit_rnd_0 * order)
               dx = (p_in.x - centre_x) * weight
               dy = (p_in.y - centre_y) * weight
               da = twopi() / order
               angle = toReal(idx) * da
               cosa = cos(angle)
               sina = sin(angle)      
            in
               vec2(centre_x + dx * cosa + dy * sina, centre_y + dy * cosa - dx * sina)
         ]]>
      </string>
   </transform_def>

This is point symmetry on camera blended against linear and glynnSim2:

The British variable naming (and unused colorshift variable) comes from JWildfire. This general use case is where my variable matching request comes from. The reason I have automated variable parity in my JW plugin set is so I can paste .flame XLM direct into Chaotica straight from the clipboard. Plugins that didn't translate/compile, I replace with shim plugins that do nothing (but keep variables).

I haven't stress tested C2 much, but Chaotica 1.x straight crashes if you paste in Apo-style flame XML with messing or badly named variables.

So with porting plugins I regularly use, but ones I'm pretty sure only exist in Apo/Chaotica form from my plugin translation, it's kind of a question: Do I sanitize names (i.e. point_symmetry and not post_point_symmetry_wf)? Drop unused variables (3D stuff, direct color stuff)? Or be more selfish and keep my workflow as intact as possible? It's kind of a pain to do both.

I have been meaning to do a .chaos -> .flame conversion tool in the other direction, which I guess I could just extend to Chaotica 1.x <--> Chaotica 2.x name changes too.

P.S. Speaking of tools, I snuck out the Chaotica render automation GUI over the weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GniEpxHCxmY

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:40 am 

Save Image: please use current .chaos filename for image filename.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:37 pm 

When you use "selectors" button, Chaotica now mixes all the weights, also the ones you have put value 0. If you have loops it disarrays them.

I like the new "transforms" button functionality. Also the reference functionality is nice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:12 pm 

JO wrote:
Save Image: please use current .chaos filename for image filename.

This should work for next build.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:21 pm 

Matthew wrote:
I haven't stress tested C2 much, but Chaotica 1.x straight crashes if you paste in Apo-style flame XML with messing or badly named variables.

So with porting plugins I regularly use, but ones I'm pretty sure only exist in Apo/Chaotica form from my plugin translation, it's kind of a question: Do I sanitize names (i.e. point_symmetry and not post_point_symmetry_wf)? Drop unused variables (3D stuff, direct color stuff)? Or be more selfish and keep my workflow as intact as possible? It's kind of a pain to do both.

I have been meaning to do a .chaos -> .flame conversion tool in the other direction, which I guess I could just extend to Chaotica 1.x <--> Chaotica 2.x name changes too.

P.S. Speaking of tools, I snuck out the Chaotica render automation GUI over the weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GniEpxHCxmY

Hi Matthew,
Thanks, I added a slightly modified version of point_symmetry to Chaotica 2.0.9.
re: Chaotica crashing, if you have a file that crashes Chaotica 2 please post it/email to us.

I would drop unused variables.

I would sanitize the names as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:08 pm 

First of all, very grateful for the continuation of Chaotica ;)

In all of the betas I have tried, including the early ones from lycium, i've been unable to use the response curves, there's no line or nodes to change, it's just empty.
My specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
GPU Driver: 19.1.1

One tiny other 'bug'
It is difficult to select a transform and move it around in the world editor, I have to hold the mouse button down a bit above the center, if I click dead center, the transform gets unselected. Also rotation and expansion/retraction is a bit off too. I can make a video example if need be. I suspect it might have something to do with multi-display setup, my main display is 3840x2160 and my 2nd display on which I have my editor open is 1920x1080.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 pm 

I don't know if this is expected behavior with OpenCL or not, but:

With OpenCL GPU rendering, on macOS Mojave 10.14.3 / Vega 64, rendering pauses when the screen sleeps. A couple notes:

- The computer is certainly still on (I SSH'ed in to verify batch render wasn't outputting, but first noticed when GPU fans spun down)

- I don't think Chaotica itself is pausing rendering, because it resumes when screen wakes. I guess something is just blocking/waiting on OpenCL work

Ideally, allow background work when the screen is off, but failing that, I guess just prevent screen sleep. This will prevent total system sleep, as a starting point (source to a built-in macOS binary):

https://opensource.apple.com/source/Pow ... .auto.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:44 pm 

Any support for saving/loading color palettes? (also loading palettes from images)?

Offline Profile